Friday, October 17, 2008

Snapshots

Did you know that you can get two grown women on one bike? It's true. What you do is have the first woman start pedaling forward, and then the second runs up behind and jumps up side-saddle on the rear rack. It's a bit of a balancing act, but it can be done. Or so I observed while out in the city today.



The other night I was watching The Usual Suspects with a group of people. When the guy in the hospital starts screaming in Hungarian about Keyser Soze, someone in the group started translating. Awesome.



Today is my two-week anniversary of being here. It seems as though its been a lot longer. I feel like I'm adjusting to life here and am able to figure out things on my own now. It still does not entirely feel like home, though.



A volunteer from Denmark has arrived and he does not speak Dutch. There is also an American visitor here this week. That gives English a lot more weight at the dinner table, which means I might actually be able to participate in a conversation or two. Hooray!



If you're the praying sort, I could still use some for my car. It has yet to sell and in fact has generated barely any interest in the weeks it has been on the market, despite being a 2007 Mustang GT in good condition. My father took it to the big car dealership to see what they would give for it and they offered $3,000 below the Blue Book value (and what I owe). Not good.

I can't afford to make the monthly payments on the car while I'm here. I don't have the money to take a $3,000 hit, either. It would be completely silly to have my time here cut short by a car. So, I could still use some prayer for that. And if you know anyone in the market for a Mustang, let me know. It really is a nice car.

1 comment:

Catherine said...

I like these snapshots :) Such a different world, but in some ways much the same, sounds like.

With the language issue, has conversation been a challenge? That is my biggest fear as I contemplate moving to another country!

Definitely keeping HFC in my prayers. Well, sale of, I mean. If I had spare monies, I would definitely be interested <3 Maybe if you put together a mix CD & advertised that it comes with its own soundtrack? That would definitely increase MY interest in a car...