Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Rites of Spring, Part II

A short follow-up to yesterday's birthday post. I just was really surprised and touched that so many people around the community knew it was my birthday. I was quite ready to let it sail under the radar, but I can see that that is not an option around here!

I had no 'plans' for festivities. Quite the opposite, actually, I had several real life things to get done. But at Annalijn's prompting I decided that seeing a movie after dinner wouldn't interfere with anything. Besides there's a cool little theater along the Haarlemdijk that I'd seen Benjamin Button at and which I wanted to return to. It's called The Movies and it is one of the oldest movie theaters still operating (Have I written about it before? I can't remember). It's quite small, with only six screens that aren't much bigger than what you can do with a projector at home. But it's cozy and the atmosphere is great.

Anyway I hadn't seen Slumdog Millionaire yet, nor had Annalijn, Matthias, Rose-Anne or Elizabeth. Now, these are all Dutch people, more or less. They've all spent way more time in Amsterdam than I have, at any rate. But none of them knew where The Movies was! So I had great fun leading them through the streets of the Jordaan on bikes (Rose-Anne perched precariously on the back of Matthias' cycle since she didn't have her own) and teasting them about the fact that an American was giving them directions.

I promised them I'd blog it too, so here it is.

The movie was decent (I wasn't floored or anything but I was pleased that I could parse out most of the subtitled parts - which were in Dutch, natuurlijk). On the way back I got french fries from "Chipsy King". It was a nice way to wrap up a fine spring day.

1 comment:

Patrick said...

Man, I'd love to visit Holland some day.