Thursday, April 30, 2009

Orange and Black

Yesterday was Queen's Day in The Netherlands, a major national holiday. I will have a full post with pictures up later, but as lovely as the day was in Amsterdam tragedy struck elsewhere. The Royal Family was in a parade in Apeldoorn when a rogue motorist ploughed into the crowd. Apparently he was trying to hit the royal bus. He failed at this, but several people have died and many more were injured.

It seems very strange that anyone would want to attack the Dutch royal family, but these are the times we live in. Please pray for the families of those affected by this tragedy on what should have been a day of celebration.

2 comments:

Bob and Joanne said...

There is so much anger and hostility in the world--much of it misdirected. I'm so sorry for the innocents in the crowd whose lives have been impacted.

I must have some Dutch ancestry (I do know that my lineage lived in Leiden for a number of years, but they weren't Dutch), because of the color orange. For some odd reason, Orange is a name that pops up repeatedly in my genealogy. I can almost bet that if I run across a person named Orange, I can connect to him or her (versatile name used for both sexes) in some manner.

Tom Braun said...

If you have Orange in your name you might be Dutch royalty!