Friday, February 13, 2009

Good Heavens! Water From the Sky!

Growing up a Florida boy, I admit that snow is a bit of an alien phenomenon to me. Sometimes it takes me a moment or two to realize when it's happening. My brain is geared to automatically chalk any precipitation up to the warm, heavy tropical rains I grew up with. So it takes me a moment or two sometimes to categorize the slower, denser, fluffier stuff coming from the sky as 'snow'.

The Amsterdam winter makes this categorization harder still.

I have heard a joke that in Amsterdam they get all four seasons in one day. In fact it's worse than that. This morning I went out in the rain, returned to find the rain frozen, which then turned to snow as I biked home. This grim meteorological behavior does not preclude the sun coming out later, either, and shining for all its worth amid blue skies. Such is winter in Amsterdam.

It does make planning outings slightly difficult.


In other news, Br. Luc and I have been working on updating the Oudezijds 100 website and he has uploaded several videos. For the most part it won't do you much good, since it's all in Dutch, but I thought I'd this news report about the children of Oudezijds 100 with you. It's a few years old, and it is of course in Dutch, but it should give you some nice visual ideas of what life is like here.

It should be pointed out that most of the children depicted are now considerably older. But there are new children now, and things are much the same.

2 comments:

S.G. said...

The video was very helpful actually in conveying a sense of what life must be like at OZ100. Is Christian Florintinus still there?

br Luc said...

The video about Kruispost (our medical work) has english subtitles. Just in case anyone wanted to know.

br Luc